Q: How do we know a problem is worth solving?
A: Through frequent interactions and iterations with users to build the best products.
What types of people or groups do you want to target?
In what places or forums can you find these users?
Interview Tactics and Best Practices
Interview questions should be based on our assumptions.
Research Topic: Music Streaming
Assumption: “Users would be more likely to stream music on a mobile device if they did not have to utilize their data.”
Hypothesis: “If users did not have to use their data to stream media from their mobile device, then they will be willing to pay a premium for that service.”
Questions should test your hypothesis.
Interviewing best practice
- Ask open ended questions.
- Closed Q – Are you a Risk Manager?
- Open Q – What do you do for a living?
- Avoid inserting biased in to Questions.
- Positive Bias – Wouldn’t it be great if….?
- Negative Bias – Are you frustrated when…?
- Neutral Bias – How do you feel when…?
- Explore and probe answers…
- Tell me more about that….
- Can you remember a time when that happened?
- Why do you need that?
- When do you need to do that?
- How often does that happen?
- Be an active listener.
- Interview in-person
- Ask permission to record the interview
- Have questions prepared ahead of time.
- Be respectful of time.